New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 3374
People Online:
Visitors: 3
Members: 0
Total: 3
Online Now:

Power Fishing the Drop Shot

Discussions around the techniques of Power Fishing!

Bronzeback Smallies, "Red Eye Spots" or Florida Strain LM.......Which are the "AWESOMENEST" to target?

Small Mouth
67%
Spotted Bass
6%
Florida Large Mouth
28%

Total votes : 18

Power Fishing the Drop Shot

Postby Steve_basscoza » 22 Aug 2013, 15:06

I'm watching the Internet Stream of the St Lawrence River Elite Series event from a fortnight ago where Brandon Palanuik Cemented his name into Bassmaster "Legend & Lore".

It's making me so "lus" for some Small Mouth action at Clanwilliam (Spoiled "Great Trek Light Duties"!)

Enjoy this Show:
http://www.bassmaster.com/video/watch-full-ny-elite-show-here
Steve_basscoza
Dedicated BassAholic!

Postby bassmaster » 22 Aug 2013, 15:47

Vince and I won the last MT of the season on dropshot... at the right time it is deadly!!! And I don't know why you put 3 options for the poll?? Is there anything else better than catching smallies??? Only pig largies come close! :blue-biggrin: :blue-cool:
Sometimes the fishing is so bad not even the liars catch anything!!!!
bassmaster
Admin Super Hero!

Postby Juba » 22 Aug 2013, 16:29

Sight fishing for largies!!! no COMPARISON!!!!!!! Drop shot is like papgooi!
Juba
Total Bassing Freek

Spots: "Fresh water Tuna"!

Postby Steve_basscoza » 22 Aug 2013, 16:44

I was introduced to "Red Eye" Spots at Lake Keowee South Carolina, we were drop shotting them off rock piles in 60 foot of water...Once we got any school "ignited" it was "GAME ON!" we would literally catch the whole school as they competed for the bait

SPOTS ARE TOTALLY CRAZY! You hook 'em, reel in, but when they see the boat, the fun starts....Trolling Motors get attacked! (I'm being serious) and pound for pound, nothing else fights as hard or as dirty!

Because their physiology does not feature a swim bladder, even the "deep ones" fight like tuna.....

I've caught them at Midmar & understand that they can also be targeted at Misverstand. Maybe some of the "Great Trek Light Duties" could weigh in with their opinions!
Steve_basscoza
Dedicated BassAholic!

Postby bassmaster » 22 Aug 2013, 21:49

Hey Steve

I think, if it's called a red eye spot that Mofam also has them. They are fiesty but not very big, think the biggest I have seen at Mofam is just over a kilo, but they are very strong for there size... if it's the same strain.... :blue-cool:
Sometimes the fishing is so bad not even the liars catch anything!!!!
bassmaster
Admin Super Hero!

"Spots" on the Drop!

Postby Steve_basscoza » 23 Aug 2013, 10:54

Howzit Shane

Yip, sounds like the infamous "Red Eye Spot"

I think that the SA record is about 2,4 kg......

The biggest I caught was a +/- 3,5 pounder (in the States)...It fought like crazy!

They are actually not a strain, but a separate sunfish species, shaped like a tuna, no swim bladder and therefore can move up & down in the water column with far more ease than their cousins.

I would love to go offshore at MOFAM and look for structure in the deepest parts of the dam, that's where schools of the bigger ones will be lurking, holding to rock piles / stumps etc. (It would be a "good idea" to "sink" a F.A.D. of some sorts off a channel lip near the dam wall)

This vid takes me "back" to 2008, even the "old school Lowrance" - It worked great for pinpointing the fish then "dropping" in on them with vertical presentations (Spooning Jigs Drop Shot Rigged Worms & Spider Jigs).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_B594wmoP6E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now for the "POWER FISHING (Using a "FINESSE" Technique)" part:

This "ballie" shows us how EXACTLY HOW IT'S DONE using the 2D Sonar.....(Watch from Minute 3 for the highlight of the clip - AWESOME STUFF!!)

By the way, this is the way that the top guys "Drop Shot" for Small Mouth in the USA!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oJP4UqsWNv0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Last edited by Steve_basscoza on 23 Aug 2013, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Legend in My Own LUNCHTIME!

Co Owner & CEO at World of Fishing & www.bass.co.za
Steve_basscoza
Dedicated BassAholic!

Postby Valrath » 23 Aug 2013, 10:57

<3 River Smallies

Valrath
BFSA AmBASSador!

Power Fishing in a "Finesse" manner

Postby Steve_basscoza » 23 Aug 2013, 13:31

This guy, (Paul Meuler) really dials in the Drop Shot on the smallies using his Electronics!

I call this "Power Fishing with a Finesse Technique"! Why? Well, You are TARGETING a KNOWN FISH and FORCING it to BITE!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Js3UMFbqsD4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now.....For those who ASSERT that the "SIDE BAR FLASHER" on the graph "has NO PURPOSE":

Try keep your eye off the "Main Graph" and WATCH the "SIDE BAR"! This is YOUR VIEW of the INSTANTANEOUS ACTION going on under the boat! The "Main Graph" is "Historical".....So here's a tip when fishing off the Electronics: WATCH YOUR SIDE BAR, When those "Blips" start moving.....get ready to STRIKE!
Legend in My Own LUNCHTIME!

Co Owner & CEO at World of Fishing & www.bass.co.za
Steve_basscoza
Dedicated BassAholic!

Postby Steve_basscoza » 23 Aug 2013, 14:51

Valrath wrote:<3 River Smallies

Where is that darned "LIKES IT STUKKEND" Button???
Steve_basscoza
Dedicated BassAholic!

Return to Power Fishing