Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

Cranking up my confidence (report)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey guys!

Back again with another report. Sorry if this one is quite short. I'm busy working on another big one so stay tuned.

When I need some quiet time and some space there are 2 things I like to do: Go for a walk or go fishing. This past Thursday I went fishing. I took two rods to a local private dam. It's a dam that has been hammered by changes in water levels, algae growth, bergies (I've had a knife encounter here) and bad spawns due to MASSIVE Bluegills destroying the nests and being too big for the Bass to feed on (talking 600-800g Bluegills).

I had a dropshot rod rigged up and my favourite Cumara and Lews combo (that I nailed 30+ fish on last weekend :eusa_whistle: - stay tuned for that report). I wanted to improve my confidence in dropshot as I rarely ever throw it and know it has huge potential.

I arrived at the dam, found something that looks like a massive Coontail in my windbreaker pocket, put it on and made a cast towards where I think a laydown is. I dragged it until I felt structure and bounced it up and down. Bite. I knew the fish were tiny and had almost no hope of hooking him with a nose hooked snake bait. I gave him time to eat it, tried to set the hook and failed. I immediately swapped the oversized Coontail out for a Bluegill fluke. No success.

I reached the opposite bank and was fed up with dropshotting. I decided to tie a Squarebill onto my 6'8" Medium Extra Fast :blue-badgrin: :blue-badgrin: . In the past I have barely ever thrown a crankbait. I've probably caught only 10-20 fish on them. I chose a baby bass colour because sadly the only food source these fish have left are fry. The bluegills are too big and I got no success on the bluegill fluke. I cast my crankbait out and worked it back at a steady constant pace. It came back as a green blob covered in grass and algae. I then burned it and this eliminated the grass but still got some algae and no bites. I cast it out about 5 metres of a grass line and worked it as follows: Wind-Wind-Wind-Pause... (to let it float back up) Wind-Wind-Wi..ON! I struck and brought in this little dink.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I unhooked him and 6 casts later (on a second grassline) caught this better one. (The photos look similar but you can see this one is bigger)

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

By now I had worked my way down the bank. I decided to turn around and fish the two grasslines again. As soon as I reached the first one I caught this nice one.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I kid you not, as soon as I reached the second grassline I was on. This was one of the better two and I think he might just have hit a kilogram.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I felt content and satisfied and was ready to go home.

I decided to have one or two more casts. I burned the next cast down a drop off bank and the next thing I knew I was hit by something that felt like a stump . I struck, and it barely moved. My rod was bending to the max. My heart was pounding in my chest. I couldn't believe it.

Turns out it was exactly what it felt like... A stump :blue-badgrin:.

Of course I wanted my crank back... I'll let the pictures do the talking.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

After retrieving my crank and putting on my pants again I made one final cast towards the grassline. I got hit 2 or 3 times and saw massive sub surface swirls. Right next to the bank he finally commited and a bass similar size to the kilogram model was caught on my last cast.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Just a quick report. I finally have some hard earned confidence in crankbaits. One thing I realized is how incredibly important the excact winding method was. Nothing else got any reaction. Please share this report back if you found it entertaining. Quite hard to get exposure with the site a little bit dead...

See you in the next one!
All my report backs and fishing stories also available on:
http://bassfishingthewesterncape.blogspot.co.za/
BFSA
Lekka one Bly.

Now I need to get on the water...soon!!
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Leke boykie! Goodstuff bru. Shot for sharing! Yah lets get this forum going again! Like it used to be a few years ago when I was still a roofkykeer :blue-biggrin: :blue-biggrin: lol cheerzz
Good Luck Fishin'
Nice report boet, keep them coming. Those big bluegill are lazy breeders.....get some smaller ones in there however remember they compete with the bass for food. If there is so much weed sounds like a good place for kurper.
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Well done Bly enjoyed the read keep it up
Lekker! I love square billls!!
BFSA
Riprap Wrote:Nice report boet, keep them coming. Those big bluegill are lazy breeders.....get some smaller ones in there however remember they compete with the bass for food. If there is so much weed sounds like a good place for kurper.

If I had legal ownership of this dam and the correct licences...
I would have put in Vlei Kurper. They're excellent due to their small average size, short lifespan and like you mentioned - their ability to flourish in vegetation.

--

Thanks everyone for the lekker feedback!
All my report backs and fishing stories also available on:
http://bassfishingthewesterncape.blogspot.co.za/
Lekker. Ek dink jy skryf vinninger as Wat ek Kan Praat :blue-sad:. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into your reports for us. :eusa_angel:.
excellent report back! thanks bru
Stywe Lyne | Tight Lines
Han Rasmus

YouTube - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/hanrasmus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/hanrasmus</a><!-- m -->
Facebook - The Outcasts
Instagram - HanPro_ZA

[Image: Capture.JPG]