Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

New Members

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howzit Guys

It has been suggested to me that I try and make the site more "open" for the visitors so that we can maybe attract more members. I have now made a system which will allow people to register a username and login to get a feel for the website. However their accounts are still limited and will not be able have full functionality of the website. I hope it helps us grown a little quicker. The numbers will now grow but they still have a choice to pay a subscription fee or not.

I have made it so the new "registered" (not subscribed) users only can see and make shouts but I will keep an eye on it to see how it progresses... basically a trial run at the moment...

Thanks for all the suggestions to improve the website, I will accommodate and make changes where possible.

Viva BFSA! :blue-cool: :blue-smile:
Sometimes the fishing is so bad not even the liars catch anything!!!!
BWG
Would it be possible to give them access to the first post in a topic? Think that would be a great carrot...and maybe one of the gallery sections
When did you crawl out of your hole sharky......where you been boet.... :blue-biggrin:
"I don't exagerate...I think big!"
One way to encourage new members to sign up would (in my opinion) be to allow them to read the forum posts and galleries but not contribute. To do that they would need to register and pay a subscription.
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span on this earth the hours spent in fishing ~Babylonian Proverb
I disagree Gobassing.
If you allow people free acsess to valuable information then those seeking purely the info would not subscribe. I wouldn’t have payed up if I could read it all for free! There are loads of members that only read posts and don’t comment. I joined the BFSA to get info on venues, boats, and improve my knowledge on bassfishing. Meeting cool people, making friends and having loads of fun was a just bonus. :blue-biggrin:
Life is to short, live it, fish it, play it!
The only way to grow BFSA is to make more of the website free... people have a choice of a number of fishing forum web sites and humans being what they are will gravitate to the fee sites.
Regards Rob
Vice President SABAA Natal
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/SABAANatal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.facebook.com/SABAANatal</a><!-- m -->
BWG
Bergie Wrote:When did you crawl out of your hole sharky......where you been boet.... :blue-biggrin:

Been a bit hectic, still logging in very early when you still catching ZZZZ's. :blue-biggrin: Off to George and Oudtshoorn (and hopefully Ruabenheimer) again week after next. Boating partner still working way too much of course, so no social for me :blue-sad:
I must agree to disagree. Ian, I share your views boet. I don't mind making the gallery open for them to view but not comment. The forums are a different story all together. I have kept an eye on a number of other forums and not to diss them or anything but they are full of nonsense most of the time. BFSA used to be a bit like that where people would just talk kak most of the time. Not that i mind that much but I think the BFSA forums are much more to the point and full of useful info. We do have our own fun banter from time to time but it's because we are such a tight community and know each other fairly well.

So I would never be real keen to open the forums to everyone. I much prefer to know that the people who are here are here because they want to be and not just because they can be.

I am also almost positive that some of the members would not be as keen to share info with the world just cause they have to. There are other sites that are free but I dont see our members posting on those sites and it's for a good reason. We want to share but most of the time we want to share with the people we know or our friends.

At the end of the day I started and still run BFSA to try and have a great site that helps everyone with their fishing and enjoys their time spent online. It's not about the money.

Never the less I hope the changes help us grow a bit quicker. :blue-biggrin:
Sometimes the fishing is so bad not even the liars catch anything!!!!
bassmaster Wrote:I much prefer to know that the people who are here are here because they want to be and not just because they can be.

Couldn't agree more.
The more I learn about fishing the more I realise
how much more I have to learn about fishing.
There are a number of members that have joined recently that do not complete the basic profile i.e. where they are from or what their occupation is. You just see “plasticman” :blue-smile: when you look at his profile and you don’t know where he is from. I would suggest that BM makes that compulsory. :blue-biggrin:
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
Ian, BM I think we will have to disagree on this, also on the quality of the input on other forums. Sealine is certainly as you described but the "other" bass forum has some quality content and discussions going on at any time. My impression is that BFSA is most strong in the Western Cape and to a slightly lesser degree in KZN and I'm happy for that because it fits in with where I live, but if I happened to be located in Gauteng or Mpumalanga for example I might find less to hold my attention.

I'm definitely with Rob in his belief that free content will always attract more interest and by having different tiers of membership it could be possible to have a larger membership base while maintaining (and in time building on) the personal relationships that makes this site so special. Perhaps the concept of a private area where more intimate interactions take place is not a bad idea, such a section could be for paying members.

I'm not dissing BFSA, it's my preferred online home and always will be, you asked for input and I am giving it.
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span on this earth the hours spent in fishing ~Babylonian Proverb
BWG
I think its great to try get more members. Perhpas allow them to read some of the forums and not post or search.

I dont particularly like the free forums in South Africa. You always have to be so careful what you say on them and you ALWAYS get some idiot making a cocky comment if you express your opinion. This is the problem with all free forums. The community is big, you get lots of crap advice from people who think they know everything but know nothing. there are forever arguments blah blah

just my two cents.

GoBassing Wrote:.... BFSA is most strong in the Western Cape and to a slightly lesser degree in KZN....
That is apart from August who claims to be from "up north" but we all know that he's now a Capie :blue-badgrin:
only just read your last post Chris.

I think that is an awesome idea. to have a private section for paying members.

Seeing that you are asking for opinions Ill give mine as well :blue-biggrin: :blue-biggrin:

Why all the hype in growing in numbers if the people you get wont take part. If someone wants to join they will. If the forums are open to the general buplic you will get less people commiting and joining.
I joined because I was googling for info on a dam. Got a hit in BFSA but could not view the info. I subscribed (not knowing anything about the site). Now its the place I visit the most. If I had free access I can assure you I would not have committed to be a member and would not have made as many friends in the process as well.

My point is just that we already have 300 people on site with only about 50 taking part. This is people actualy willing to pay and then not take part. Why then have more okes with even less commitment to get them to take part?

This next part might sound selfish, and I hope it comes out the right way. I like to share and care. Just look at my reportbacks. But only with the people that is willing to pay up and join up and make this site great and make it what it is, people willing to share and care back. If anyone can view anything, I feel its not fair to the guys that have paid and does share and care thing, and keeps the sharing and caring tradition going. We gonna end up with a whole lot of people just taking and taking and the same old 50 guys giving back.

I think its a cracking site. I love it. It is growing, remember Rome wasnt build in a day. Let people see some pics, let people see forum topics, but dont let them see content (that is paying members previlage), dont let them use the shoutbox. If they want to join they will, if they dont want to theres not much we can do to change their mind.

I think other ways of advertising is more key, like the social events, I also feel the Money trail is a cool way to shows outsiders what our site is capable of and the friendships it produces. When I am in Limpopo I always try to incourage other people to join to try and get the field up there bigger as well. Just by showing them, this I learn from BFSA, that I learned from BFSA. Ive got brandon to join and working on a few others.

My 2c
One fish can change it all.....