Current time: 11-22-2017, 09:24 AM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

Project boat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got my project boat can't wait to get down and dirty, it needs a clean first off but it seems solid.

[Image: 9932106_20.jpeg]

[Image: 05516dn_20.jpeg]
BWG
Ernst, I'm curious. What length is it and are you planning an outboard bigger than 15HP which would require you to get a skipper's ticket and have the vesseled COF'ed?
As solid as it is, the first step must be flotation whether for legal or not but for peace of mind.
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Please keep us posted on your progress Ernst. Shannon's and Plasticman's boat projects have been my favourite posting so far.

Shout if you need any advice as many members have various skills and they can all contribute with advice and moral support.

Blessing with the project. This all turn into a labour of love very quickly!
Regards
Robert Jacobs
riprap Wrote:Ernst, I'm curious. What length is it and are you planning an outboard bigger than 15HP which would require you to get a skipper's ticket and have the vesseled COF'ed?
As solid as it is, the first step must be flotation whether for legal or not but for peace of mind.

I'm planing to do it right cof etc.it is 4 meters long and 1.5 wide I don't think I will ever go bigger than 15-20hp I want to get my skippers ticket anyway as I think it will be a insurance requirement.

Navrik I will give it my best go and keep all posted. I don't have the skill of Shannon and plasticman
But this will be my first and hey it can only get better .
Battery compartments...you need them... :blue-cool:
You could put a little box on the front step to hold your batteries for a bow mounted hand held sneaker. I don't think it will hold more than a 15hp in which case you don't need floatation or cof just saftey equipment, anchor and chain.

I like the fish on the front you should try re-introduce it after sanding. :blue-biggrin:
The more I learn about fishing the more I realise
how much more I have to learn about fishing.
BWG
Jeremy Wrote:You could put a little box on the front step to hold your batteries for a bow mounted hand held sneaker. I don't think it will hold more than a 15hp in which case you don't need floatation or cof just saftey equipment, anchor and chain.

I like the fish on the front you should try re-introduce it after sanding. :blue-biggrin:

I'm going to put a flat deck on and will put the battery box in the front but I will put a foot control bow mount sneaker on. I want to see exactly how big I need and can go with the outboard ant its batt will go in the back ,also want to try and squeeze a small live-well in the middle will see what I can do.

as for the fish sorry it's got to go not my scene. :blue-lol:
Come on Ernst...where's your heart.....Leave the fish on..... :blue-badgrin: :blue-biggrin: :blue-lol:
"I don't exagerate...I think big!"
Bergie Wrote:Come on Ernst...where's your heart.....Leave the fish on..... :blue-badgrin: :blue-biggrin: :blue-lol:

maybe it is a good idea that way i can always shout like mike iconelli "I got a fish on" even if I don't cause i got one on my boat hahahahahahahaha

but no the fish will make way for some thing better my mind is about 10 min. away from smoking all the ideas I think of and the ideas of how to get the money to fund those ideas hahaha :blue-lol:
Sell the real estate on the side of the boat to the BFSA sponsors....

..c'mon sponsors you know you want to support this worthy cause...and just think how much advertising you are going to get with a fishing addict like Ernst on the water every weekend :blue-biggrin:
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Navrik Wrote:Sell the real estate on the side of the boat to the BFSA sponsors....

..c'mon sponsors you know you want to support this worthy cause...and just think how much advertising you are going to get with a fishing addict like Ernst on the water every weekend :blue-biggrin:

I like the way you think Navrik :blue-biggrin: :blue-biggrin:
BWG
Thats's cos it's not his money.....
Ernst welcome to the dusty world of boat building and refurbishing - get your dust mask and hold on. :blue-lol:

In response to your PM, use 9mm thick ply for your decks, anthing thicker is overkill and too heavy. You can use cheaper ply than Marine ply but it will check over time and delaminate over time. Shutter ply as you refer to is 18mm thick weighs way too much and is full of voids, but at R200 a sheet is dirt cheap, 9mm Marine Ply is about R400 a sheet at best.

For joining you mix resin with Cabosil to make a glue putty, don't use nails as they let water into the wood and even if you seal it properly the moisture in the wood rots them.

But it all depends on how long you want the boat to last. I built my boat to last 40 years. If you want yours to last 2 years then use normal ply, polyester resin and screws. If you want it to last much longer use Epoxy resin, Marine Ply and Biaxial Fibreglass tape.

I'm just finishing off another boat rebuild, I'll try post it tonight on here so you can get some more ideas.

Please take a close up picture of your transom, it's look rotten from the top picture, if it is you will have to replace it or you'll loose your motor.
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
Thanks Shannon i appreciate the advice and will look at all those things and no point in fixing a boat to just last like 2 years so I will follow your advice.
And good advice you will get as well boet from Shannon...He's a star at building/renovating boats....