Current time: 09-26-2017, 08:19 PM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

BFSA Mobile

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are busy working on a long overdue mobile site for BFSA and are looking for feedback from the members who make BFSA what it is, the greatest bass fishing site in the world, (well OK in South Africa anyway). The site would have to be scaled down in some respects, for example the photo gallery could be a problem with the smaller screens and generally slower connection speeds on mobile phones.

This is your chance to tell us what you would like to see, what should be kept, what can we leave out, etc, etc? Please guys and girls, get involved and tell us what you want to see.
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
BWG
That would be awesome ! Reports from the waters edge ! Keeping it like FB where users can run 'mobile uploads'. :blue-biggrin:
Outdoors 365 Equipment
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.outdoors365.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.outdoors365.co.za</a><!-- w -->
I don't think speed on mobile phones would be an issue.
ADSL in our country is still very immature so majority of users should find their mobile connection (3G) to be faster.
Where it would be an issue is the cost of bandwith via a 3G connection vs ADSl.
In this respect it would make sense to down-scale the images.

The other option would be to have our forums activated with Tapatalk.
I'm sure those of you who have used the app will agree it makes forum usage on a mobile quite enjoyable.

That being said I think a mobile version of this awesome site would be a fantastic idea.
Also if there are some developers on this site an iOS/Android app would be wicked.
It could have things like our knowledge base, fishing spots and some other stuff built in to the app. Also access to the shop via the app would be cool and transactions can be completed quickly.
Hi Admin,

What do you (admin) mean by "moblie site for BFSA"?

The site can currently be accessed and viewed by any moble device that has internet conectivity e.g. a mobile phone, note pads, tabs, note books etc. All aspects of the site can be viewed and accesed including the gallery from these devices. I often sit at a campsite next to a dam or even on my boat and view reports and submit reports from my mobile device.

We would need more information as to what your objectives are and what you mean by going mobile before we can give you feedback.

Regards
[Image: dbfa278d-72d0-4191-8a1b-dfc8df2ce222_zps5101ae66.jpg]
I agree with the ninja. I am posting this from my iPad. Don't you think a mobile site will divert users from this site?
Also, I know you think that I am absolutely fantastic!
A mobile site is purely an optimisation of the current site to make to more user friendly for smaller screens. It might also filter out some content that is a bit heavy on bandwith. Although 3G is fast (if you have coverage) it can be very expensive if you don't have a data plan.

bassfishing.mobi is the way to go!
Regards
Robert Jacobs
BWG
I look forward to seeing it.
By mobile we mean mobile phones. As has been noted the site works fine on a tablet, it was desiged that way, but on a small iPhone or other phone screen, while it's still usable, it's not ideal, scrolling backwards and forwards to see content is a mission. As Navrik noted, a mobile site would have images that have been optimized for the slower connections that would usually be experienced, especially when out on the water for example and extraneous content might be omitted from a mobile version.

Ive heard about tapatalk, haven't looked at it closely but thanks Issi for that suggestion, sounds like it could be worth investigating.
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span on this earth the hours spent in fishing ~Babylonian Proverb
If certain aspects is going to be scalled down then the "BFSA Newsletter" that was on the cards a while back will slot in nicely when the site goes mobile. Keep up the good work "Admin". :blue-cool:
I mentioned here before a problem with images that will be a bigger problem with mobile.
In the forum posts, CSS are used to scale images instead of dynamically scaling images with code. The original image size is loaded but scaled smaller with CSS. Just imagine what that will do on an mobile device.

I'm not sure how up to date php-nuke/phpbb are with HTML5, but have a look at the latest buzz for mobile sites: responsive theming. The pages will scale according to screen size and is device independent. You also don't need special apps.
Bassassin Wrote:By mobile we mean mobile phones. As has been noted the site works fine on a tablet, it was desiged that way, but on a small iPhone or other phone screen, while it's still usable, it's not ideal, scrolling backwards and forwards to see content is a mission.

Some feedback as requested by Admin: This reply is from my Blackberry mobile phone. I'm capable of viewing everything on the site in full screen including the pictures in the gallery. Cut and paste on posts can also be done like on this post and even posting smile's is no problem :blue-cool:

If you asking me what to scale down or what to delete to make it more mobile I would say - nothing as it is as mobile as can be. That is just me though, maybe my BLackberry phone has supa-dupa Ninja powers. :blue-biggrin:

I take it admin has done their homework and determined what percentage of its active members do access the site from a mobile device and what their limitations were before scaling down on things. As Dreece said, you might divert users from the site is it is all scaled down and it might be only for a hand full of of members.

From my side, I have full functionalty from a hand held phone with a 2.5' screen.
BWG
Sorry I forgot to mention I use the Opera Mini browser on my phone, it is available for free on the net. There are lots of other free browsers available and they all work well. They are all designed to view any site in full screen or you can zoom to give you full access and functionality.
@Ninja

With opera you probably have to zoom in/out constantly to navigate around the site no?
This is because of the resolution and size of your screen

A mobile version would allow you to view the entire page at a glance without having to do the zooming hence making navigation around the site a lot easier.
Ninja Wrote:If you asking me what to scale down or what to delete to make it more mobile I would say - nothing as it is as mobile as can be. That is just me though, maybe my BLackberry phone has supa-dupa Ninja powers.

I may be wrong but I don't think the mobile version will effect the functionality of the actual BFSA site.

The Mobile one will be a separate entity.
The more I learn about fishing the more I realise
how much more I have to learn about fishing.
Jeremy Wrote:I may be wrong but I don't think the mobile version will effect the functionality of the actual BFSA site.

The Mobile one will be a separate entity.
100% correct, we provide the option of going to the full site as a standard feature on mobile sites, so the choice is never taken away from the user.
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span on this earth the hours spent in fishing ~Babylonian Proverb