Current time: 11-23-2017, 11:31 AM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

Paid subscription for BFSA forums or free?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Would you prefer the BFSA forum to remain free or would you be prepared to pay a small annual subscription fee? The accommodation, MT, Events, Gallery and Where to Fish sections would always remain...
This poll is closed.
Would pay
50.00%
4 50.00%
Remain free
50.00%
4 50.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

I note that the subject of free vs paid forum membership has come up again as it does from time to time. As many know, BFSA has gone from being a free site, to paid and back to free.

The benefits of a paid model are; more engagement by members with less people "lurking" and not contributing, the theory being that if somebody is willing to pay for membership they would be more inclined to contribute, it also creates more of a "club" environment. The free model results in way more members and a larger variety of opinions, but also more people who are mainly absorbing information without contributing much.

It would be interesting to see feedback as to which model is preferred by the majority of BFSA members....what do you think, feel free to add your comments to this thread?
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span on this earth the hours spent in fishing ~Babylonian Proverb
BFSA
I would pay any day of the year this site is like my second wife lol :blue-biggrin: But better it only gives me a headache at certain times :blue-badgrin:
[Image: SignatureSmallBFSA_zps89bcf1e2.png]
Having not paid in the past leads me to a biased opinion, however I am willing to pay if there are definate benefits! What sort of cost would we be looking at?
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
While there are still Forums out there that are free, no reason for me to pay for this one or any other :blue-sad:
Sorry Guys
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
The idea of this site being free makes it more user friendly in the sense of any one young and old can join and share information and see whats going on in your bass fishing world, and young and old can be educated with the right guidance on respect to our fish stocks, our ways of doing things, our life skills ( as i see allot of younger generation members searching for advice on this site ) and our environment.... and by this forum being free its helps those that can't always access a paid forum and this forms a welcoming family of anglers... yes it has a few things here and there that would make a paid site better to have, but because i didn't have to pay to interact with other great anglers and get free advice it drew me closer and gave me that feeling of "join its free!" why not? haha so basically its also a good thing that its free cause i'v got the best fishing, boating and area advice on this forum and this forum has got me, one more member adding to that advice and information...

hope that helps guys....
thanx for this forum, its great!
:blue-biggrin:
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
Hi Guys

From my side, since joining, I probably fall into the catergory as many of you would term a "non-contributor" or a free reader. This is something that has not been done intentionally and the biggest draw for me on this site is the knowledge that is parted with openly and "for free", in all aspects of the sport. Considering the size of the fishing faternity and when one gets into the competitive aspect of it, you find that the sharing and adivce becomes far less, as no one wants to share their tricks. Not only the advice, but also the report backs, as it introduces you to new waters and new experiences.

The infromation and knowledge that I have read and the odd, off the topic posts, is what draws me back and logging in.

Having said the above, (and to more contribution from my side in the future) even though my opinion (and maybe a biased one at that) would be for the site to remain free, depening on what costs would be involved I would still consider joining the site.
BFSA
Thanks for the input guys, this is exactly what we are looking for, keep it coming.

I stand under correction but I think that the subscription in the past was around R200 or R250 per year.
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span on this earth the hours spent in fishing ~Babylonian Proverb
I sit on the fence here...
There is certainly pros and cons to both options... The fact that it is currently free, like Abos says, is it attracts a more diverse range of people. This is especially good when it comes to the younger lads who cannot afford much. As far as `lurking' goes, there will always be newer people who dont have much to contribute but are learning all the time and will possibly one day put some useful info in. But also having said that some of the info Ive received here is worth paying for.
There must be a reason it became free a second time in the first place?
:blue-cool:
[Image: Dreamfish.jpg]
i second dreamfish on "But also having said that some of the info Ive received here is worth paying for. There must be a reason it became free a second time in the first place?"

:mrgreen:
Im also on the fence.

A free website benefits you and your advertisers and the Money Trail, obviously.

I paid for this site for 2 years and have to say the quality of the sharing and caring was 100% better than it is now. I remember when i bought my boat all the advice i got for Kwaggas was crazy, spots to fish etc, When last have you heard about the stump row, anthill, quarry etc possibly 2 years ago. I have never seen any of that shared since the site became free. Heck when last did you even see a report on Kwaggas, some time ago. There used to be at least 1 a week even through winter.

The report backs have all but practically disappeared. However it could also be due to the Money Trail which also started round about the time the site went free, so that is possibly the cause of lack of decent info and reports from our WC waters.

The paid site was also mainly just WC peeps with little input from the rest of the country.

There was also no bickering and fighting that tends to kreep in from time to time.

I dont think changing it to a paid site will change the content now. Keep it free.

My feeling is this.

When we paid, there where higher quality more detailed reportbacks. There were less fighting and more comradery. It felt more close nit. There are large amounts of people just roofkyking and not forming part of the family.
One fish can change it all.....
BFSA
R250 is not a lot for a year, its R20/month if anyone is really so keen on getting info, that is not a lot to pay. Its have that of a bass magazine, with better quality info (then), more personolized info (by asking specific questions). And when we paid, the smart ass answers were why less, the jokes more.

On top of that, you could get a additional years subscription free if you got to 500 posts in a year. Did that twice. There was a fun points system (now gone).

Anyway, you know where my vote went :blue-biggrin:
One fish can change it all.....
Come on BFSA guys and girls, we have over 1700 members, surely more than 18 of you (at the time of making this post) have an opinion on this?
Bassassin Wrote:Come on BFSA guys and girls, we have over 1700 members, surely more than 18 of you (at the time of making this post) have an opinion on this?

When a cold front hits the country the people go into hiding! :blue-lol:
[Image: Dreamfish.jpg]
I would pay but remember the numbers grew when it became free.

BUT people will still pay if it did not cost a lot, that way you would still get the numbers.

By having numbers it will make you a formidable force in other areas like people wanting to advertise on your site.

The question would be where would it be more viable?