Current time: 11-23-2017, 11:30 AM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

New poll for members opinions on membership requirements

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Would you prefer to see the site revert back to a paid site or remain free and open as is current?
This poll is closed.
Nominal subscription site
20.34%
12 20.34%
Free site
61.02%
36 61.02%
Combination of both
18.64%
11 18.64%
Total 59 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Herewith a new poll to gauge members opinions on the age old debate of a free vs. a subscription site. I will leave it up to Snr admin to decide how long the poll runs for but perhaps the end of July is more than sufficient provided that members actually participate in the poll. Thus you are urged to please vote if you view this thread. Thanks guys.
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
BWG
I do understand the reasoning behind this , and it is a good idea – But I can see many ways in which it won’t work.
New people to fishing won’t want to pay for something they can’t see.
EG I wouldn’t go and pay for a site that I do not know is active or benefits me.

A way around this is to have a section of the forum that is just for paying members, and leave the rest of the site like it is. This then will allow others to still see this website as it always is, but also allowing paying members to have a part of the forum where they can share stuff with others who are willing to contribute.
But you can always have paying members still not posting much, and if there isn’t much activity other will ask “What am I paying for?”
But a positive spin off here is the money that is collected from this subscriptions could be used for forum prizes. Quarterly raffle or some type of competition on the closed forum – I’m sure guys would enjoy this.

A completely different spin off that could be used here, without having to charge everyone is a “minimum posts per month” section of the forum.
EG – A section of the forum that is only visible to members who have made 15 posts/comments in the last rolling 30 days.

This then opens up a section of the forum to only active members and also encourages members to post reports or questions and so on.
This for me is the best way, as no one has to put money towards the site and so on. This was actually an idea for a site I want to build but I don’t have the time or experience to build just yet.

I hope my suggestions help.
Thanks RossCo, I have added another option to the poll.
Only problem with the minimum post scenario is people start posting k@k.
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
Having a paid and a free area or an area that you can see only when you post enough will require additional development time and functionality.

I feel some of the revenue should go back into the running of the site as well as look at the possibility if re-introducing the Catch of the Month and maybe link that to a prize such as tackle.

Funds can also be used for prize money for a country wide competition series on boats and kickboats
Regards
Robert Jacobs
For those that have not been that long on the site, it was first free then paid and then back to free. When it was a paid site it was R250 per year if I can remember. So BFSA has been there and got the T-Shirt. You must ask yourself why did the site revert back to a free site. It seems that when there is money or prizes involved there is always bitching and moaning or some sort of k@k. My 2c.
[Image: dbfa278d-72d0-4191-8a1b-dfc8df2ce222_zps5101ae66.jpg]
BWG
I think that one of the best models we had was when it was a paid site and we got rewarded with a free year for keeping the post count up.

On the other hand the paid for model did create a bit of barrier for entry and that obviously had an impact on the reach of advertisers on the site.
Regards
Robert Jacobs
The only real workable model is a free site funded by advertisers… and to kick start the forums to get back to even a little bit of its former glory requires an up-to-date new forum software installation in my opinion.

The best forum software around has to be <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://xenforo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://xenforo.com/</a><!-- m -->

It takes a little getting used to but is far superior to any of the bass forums currently being run anywhere.
Regards Rob
Vice President SABAA Natal
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/SABAANatal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.facebook.com/SABAANatal</a><!-- m -->
I completely understand this topic but just have some things to add.

The main reason I said free site is because I most probably couldn't or wouldn't pay subscription. But after rethinking the whole thing I think having a paid area is probably the best solution. Is it possible for my vote to switch?

I just came back from vacation and boy its good to be back.
All my report backs and fishing stories also available on:
http://bassfishingthewesterncape.blogspot.co.za/
You want me to pay good beer money to listen to someone or allow myself to talk crap? No thanks.

Rip, there are many ways to skin this cat and charging or keeping it an open forum is not the way.

As an example of other forums:
1: You cant add anything to the for sale section if you post count is less than 10
2: If you are not logged in you cant find or see certain sections
3: Have more stricter signing up criteria - no gmail, yahoo or web based mail addresses unless specifically authorised by the mods
3a: Have a set of pre-populated questions that a new sign on has to fill in to get his/her location etc filled in.
4: Have more mods to help with the cutting the clutter work
a poll like this will not be accurate. Most people do not understand the benefit of paid section as they have never experienced it.

This site should probably stay free and a new site setup for those who want to pay, it was mentioned in the last discussion we had around this topic :
http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews...id#p118750
I agree 100% with rob about the software. All i want is a subscribe to threads button and responsive layout.

BWG
What is the goal of what we are trying to do with the forum.

My view, its somewhere to share and learn from others. Somewhere to show off a little when you catch a decent fish and somewhere to meet like minded people.

What it should not be is somewhere for the hook & cooker brigade to find out where to go rape our dams or those who have no respect for our environment. The question for me is how we stop them from seeing what we are prepared to share. Maybe the site should work on an introduction basis (i.e. I know a friend who wants to join, so I will vouch for them and say they are not hook & cook etc)
Jim_From_Zim Wrote:You want me to pay good beer money to listen to someone or allow myself to talk crap? No thanks.

Rip, there are many ways to skin this cat and charging or keeping it an open forum is not the way.

As an example of other forums:
1: You cant add anything to the for sale section if you post count is less than 10
2: If you are not logged in you cant find or see certain sections
3: Have more stricter signing up criteria - no gmail, yahoo or web based mail addresses unless specifically authorised by the mods
3a: Have a set of pre-populated questions that a new sign on has to fill in to get his/her location etc filled in.
4: Have more mods to help with the cutting the clutter work

I have to agree with JFZ
@ BassLightyear - you can now change your vote if you want boet.
No gmail !! There goes half the S.A population

As for the watch it link write a post and tick the box at the bottom before submitting your post.
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>