Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Mossback

What line to use for wacky rig

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good day Ladies and Gents.

I was wondering what type of line would be best for a wacky rig ? Braid or fluorocarbon ? I have been doing some research on it but cannot find a straight up answer ! I have never used fluorocarbon before, but have read that its sort of invisible which is an advantage ?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Toast.
Hey man,

I'm just sharing what I know about wacky rigging. I'm no expert.

First off, usually you'd always have it connected to fluoro, whether you're using a spinning or baitcasting setup. I occasionally use wacky rigs and use it mostly on casting gear. Lightest I go is 12lb Seaguar InvisX. Others may prefer 10 and 8, even 6 pound. Your casting setup would be fluoro all the way until the backing.

You typical spinning setup usually consists of a braided mainline, with a fluoro leader a bit less than the length of your rod. Others prefer to have it 2 lengths of the rod, but it's personal pref. I have my spinning reel spooled with 12lb Sunline SX1 and I can adjust the size of the leader. Places like Clan with clear water, guys switch to their 8 and 6lb line for a more finesse presentation.

So what I do now and would do, is use the spinning rod for ultra clear water when longer casts are crucial, and casting gear when using wacky rigs in heavier cover. You can experiment and use a few different baits like flukes and creature baits and check how they fall in your pool. I like to use a Big Bite Baits Cane Stick for wacky rigging. Also take the size of the line into consideration with the fall rate. The thinner the line, the faster it falls.
Just a little info I know about the technique.

I hope that answers some of your questions?
[Image: outdoors_zps5be0abce.gif]
Morning Toast. Mono or flouro leaders can be tricky with the wrong knots. herewith one of the best:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk[/youtube]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Thank you for the great info guys, much appreciated. Im going with the spinning setup, so ill spool with 12lb braid, but what strength leader should I use ?

Thanks again.

Toast.
toast69 Wrote:Thank you for the great info guys, much appreciated. Im going with the spinning setup, so ill spool with 12lb braid, but what strength leader should I use ?

If you're fishing in open water with grass and that, I would suggest 8lb-10lb. If the water is ultra clear and bass are finicky, go with the 6lb. I would be slightly more comfortable fishing the wacky with lighter line due to it having an exposed hook and it only requiring a pull hookset.

If you're around cover, heavy cover, try for 12lb-15lb. Hope this helps!
Fantastic, thanks for all great info @jmgravenor
No worries man. Send me a message if you have any questions and I'll answer as best I can.
Riprap Wrote:Morning Toast. Mono or flouro leaders can be tricky with the wrong knots. herewith one of the best

Thanks for this riprap. It's a beautiful knot. I had some disappointments recently with joining braid to a fluorocarbon leader using the Albright knot.
The allbright, French and double uni are all good knots but I would agree that the FG knot makes a bit more sense when you see how it goes together.
I'm not a wacky fundi; what is the main purpose of a leader? I just don't like making weak links between me and the fish.
Rip I tested that knot on a bunch of yellow tail recently and I can safely say it's the best knot I've used to date. Easy to make and a solid knot. Haven't tried it for bass with lighter braid yet though...
[Image: outdoors.gif]
Good to hear and we know what a tail can do!
Sorry off subject Billy, but our side the okes are getting them up to 23 kg's and can't land many of them thus the use of a good knot if you use a mono leader for a bit of stretch! The other option is to give the tail slack and once he joins the shoal off the bottom, then you CRANK him boet before he gets his head back down.