Current time: 07-01-2022, 12:29 PM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Mossback

Why do big bass follow my bait, but swerve away?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am fishing in a quarry here in Bronkhorstspruit where I live.
What I want to know is why the BIG bass follow/tail my bait, but when they come closer to the bank they swerve away from it.

The water is really clear/visible & one can see the fish, but it becomes really dark as it gets deeper.
They don't seem very interrested in soft baits, but baby bass color crankbait,Minnow Jerk Bait & sinking rattler seems to get their attention.

What color scheme should I use here (Dark or light?)

What retrieve speed should I use & what techniques (jerks/payse,sweep etc.?)

Any Advice?

I really Really want to catch a big one.
G : the quick answer to this would be "the more you practice the luckier you'll get", but there may be other factors influencing the fish not taking the bait.. Time of day, lighting, cover, wind, crank speed, direction, the clothes that you wear(especially in very clear waters fish can see outside the water) - all sorts of issues that may affect the fish. The size of your lures may also be problematic if you say that they're following.. Try bigger lures - remember the large-mouth has a large mouth. Also, try and use a more natural color lure. When water is clear and the fish can get an unobstructed look at the bait, it's best to go with softer, more natural colors. Keep in natural.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be
I try to keep as still and low as possible so the fish can't see me.
I recon the crankbait I use needs to be bigger as the normal size bass takes it, but this is the biggest size I can get here (Size 6). Will get some bigger ones in Pretoria when I go there. I hope that by using a bigger bait it will be worth while for the fish to put out the energy to take it.

Most of my lures are baby bass colors. Got some pearl white flukes & a nice shiny silver jerk minnow I'm going to try out today. This will be the 1st time using light colors here.
Personally I always feel if I can see the fish they can probably see me and therefore become allot more skittish and not willing to commit as easily. Try fishing deeper or with a bit more urgency to tempt a reaction strike. A ripple on the water would probably also help you out.
[Image: Dreamfish.jpg]
So this morning went well.
Blue sky with a slight breeze.
Instead of using my usual baby bass type lures, I used a Big Pearl White Fluke with a #5 wide gap hook weightless.

retrieved it very slowly & fluke was about 30cm under the surface, when this bass
came & just sucked it in. I don't have a weeight scale, how much do you guys recon it should weigh? This is my personal biggest catch.

[Image: 20150311_084146%20Copy_zpswvrbtmsz.jpg]
[Image: 20150311_084210%20Copy_zpsd5glcwae.jpg]
[Image: 20150311_084101%20Copy_zps5nab9pba.jpg]
[Image: 20150311_085613%20Copy_zpsnkqg6cld.jpg]
This is how long it can take to entice a bass into hitting your lure... Aggravation is the best key in this case... just my 5c worth.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG1xOUIykhY[/youtube]
Sometimes the fishing is so bad not even the liars catch anything!!!!
Very cool footage. Any idea what lure is that. I have seen them before just forgotten the name.
The more I learn about fishing the more I realise
how much more I have to learn about fishing.
I have remembered. Big Bite WarMouth
Nice fish! Congratz!
But in clear water, you mostly need to go faster. Don't give the bass the change to study your lure, more a case of getting a reaction out of them. As they are skittish, they like to strike a bait and get away to safety before there is a change for other (skittish) bass to go for it.
The slight breeze was probably your friend, as it breaks the clear light penetrating the water.
Seems like the pearl white fluke gets their attention way more than other lures.
Went there again this afternoon and did the same slow retrieve as this morning, but the big fish followed it and also came up to right against it and moved away.

You recon I should move more quickly? Is there a jerk/retrieve technique/pattern that I should try instead of the normal straight retrieve?
Gomtor, what is the main forage source in this quarry?
Also try a spinnerbait at dusk & dawn - it might be like murder boet.......
Maybe downsize to a 4 or 5" max weightless fluke type bait or even stickbait (senko type) in natural colours and don't be afraid to deadstick it out of sight of course. Downsize line too.
Everything depends on question #1 but not always......Bass cannot read!
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Jeremy Wrote:I have remembered. Big Bite WarMouth
hey Jeremy, I've got some but never ever thrown them so this looks like quite a good idea but the hook is a bit big?
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Jeremy Wrote:Very cool footage. Any idea what lure is that. I have seen them before just forgotten the name.

Hey Jeremy,

It's the Big Bite Baits Real Deal Shad Smile

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[Image: outdoors_zps5be0abce.gif]
Jeremy Wrote:I have remembered. Big Bite WarMouth

We included these in the first mysterytacklepack....would love to see some results!
[Image: fishingsignature.JPG]
jmgravenor Wrote:Hey Jeremy,

It's the Big Bite Baits Real Deal Shad Smile

I still think it is the Warmouth if you look at the profile.

[Image: Big-Bite-WarMouth-2_zpsckordp9r.jpg]