Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Picasso

Import taxes from Bass Pro or Tackle Warehouse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good day all.
Is there maybe anyone who can give me some sort of idea how hectic the import taxes are when buying gear from one of the above mentioned stores? I am considering to buy some electronics which are much cheaper in the US than here, just want to work out whether it will be worth it.

Thanks guys
Not sure about customs on electronics but tackle is generally exempt.

You do however pay VAT and the documentation fees.

Just a word of caution with buying electronics is that most of the GPS modules are geofenced and there is also the issue of warrantee.

If you have a problem you will have to ship it back to the states as the local agents are not obliged to honour any warrantees on grey imports.
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
I can't help you with the taxes for two reasons:
1. TW does not ship electronics out of the US
2. US electronics are geo-fenced which means you get warnings and/or nag screens when using them in other parts of the world.

TW also only ship to the billing address of foreign credit cards so you can't use shipping aggregation services to get around point 1.

<Obligatory bit about local support goes here>
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
Just checked the tariff books and it doesn't seems as though there is 0% duty on
Direction finding compasses; other navigational instruments and appliances:
or
Surveying (including photogrammetrical surveying), hydrographic, oceanographic, hydrological, meteorological or geophysical instruments and appliances (excluding
compasses); rangefinders:

Heading 90.14 and 90.15 in SARS link
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
Your shipment will incur a 10% inflation and then charged 14% on the total value. This is excluding any textiles or electronics which will incur additional duties.

Like Toadee also mentioned... The local distributors will not honour any warranties either. The Geofencing I have seen first hand and it is annoying as hell.
[Image: SignatureSmallBFSA_zps89bcf1e2.png]
Thanks for all the feedback. I am a big advocate for local support, just thought if I could save a few thousand I'll make an exception to my rule. I will definitely buy local then. Thanks again.
The golden rule to importing electronics -

If it's cheaper* to buy 2 of the same product from overseas, then rather do that. That way you always have a spare to tide you through the months and months of waiting for your unit to travel** the world should something go wrong.

* - this must include ALL costs, including shipping and VAT etc.
** - these costs to send the unit back will be at your cost

Lowrance SA for example has a THREE YEAR warranty on their entire range of fishfinder / combos. Anybody who has had a problem will tell you how good this warranty is.

I hope this helps you make a decision.
I know it is slightly off topic but personally I prefer to support local. Especially the companies that sponsor the events that I take part in or the companies that are prepared to sponsor me.

But saying that I am not in support of being ripped off locally.
Regards Robert Jacobs
Also like to support local, but price differentials are extreme!!!!!! the three year warranty is a product manufacture warranty to supplier which intern is for the buyer this intern will not cost the end user or supplier anything (if it goes wrong we will replace it) all this is moved on to the manufacture.
This is typical example of protectionism you look after me and I look after you and the end-user will pay?
Have you guys tried amazon? I've bought a lot of my tackle from them including minncota parts for half the price delivered in SA...
A friend of mine bought his fish finder from e-bay, and is quite happy with it. I am a tackle supplier, and he got a finder for cheaper than I can get it from a supplier. So it just makes you think a bit. I guess I'll end up paying that bit extra, for the warranty's sake.
once the warranty has end, is it with while repairing the unit or do we just through it away a get a new warrantied unit?
dollar Wrote:once the warranty has end, is it with while repairing the unit or do we just through it away a get a new warrantied unit?

Had to read this a couple of times :blue-shock: :blue-lol:
if something goes wrong with the overseas unit, why not send it back for repairs, it could take a few days longer, still worth it?
dollar Wrote:if something goes wrong with the overseas unit, why not send it back for repairs, it could take a few days longer, still worth it?

Minimum shipping in one direction to the USA with insurance and tracking would probably be in the vicinity of 60-70 dollars. Multiply by two and then by 13. R1500 plus. You decide.