Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Picasso

transferring bass from one dam to another

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hi guys
just would like to know if its a good idea to transfer bass from one dam to another because there is this dam that's been taken over by land claims, really awesome dam and big bass in it but the guys are just cleaning it up, taking everything they catch, i spoke to a farmer that i fish at and he said its not a problem i can bring bass and put it in his dam. i don't have a live well but i do have a battery operated pump and i just saw that ol big mouth has "please release me"..distance between dams is about 30mins will the bass survive as i dont want to kill a big bass for nothing or is it a bad idea..i can get a 50l round drum not sure if it will work.anyone has ideas or is it just a bad idea?
thanks guys
Some pics...scale fell in the water so no weight.. Any guesses? Was caught on a Spro poping frog...missed couple more.. It was released
Hi Ismael.
Before answering your question, I suggest you familiarize yourself with the current legislation pertaining to bass and particularly moving bass around in SA. Read this first:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8955</a><!-- l -->
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
The current owners of the dam don't mind. .did ask them and it's fine..but I dont see it as a problem if it's private dams and not public. I wouldnt go to albertfalls dam and take bass and keep it alive to put it in another dam... They do charge to fish but they don't patrol the dam to see what the guys do..guys take out bass in numbers and it's sad to see big bass been taken out... Laws are meant to be broken lol. New south Africa we live in
Laws are not meant to be broken and catchment/basin management is how the fishery NEMBA regs are/will be regulated. I don't want to start another ping pong but basically all bass are regulated even in private dams.
Read through the regs, it is pretty self explanatory.

That aside, putting bass into a dam that already has bass is more than likely doing the fish an injustice. Bass dams get overstocked pretty quickly and believe you me, big bass happily eat lots of smaller bass just to survive.
Thanks for the advice...answered what I wantd to know, the impact it would have...I was just kidding about the laws otherwise wouldn't have asked...talking about dams getting overstockd quickly..the dam I went to on Sunday.should go when I was a kid and we should catch decent bass over a kg, farm got sold..after 8yrs now we only get bass like 500g to a kg..lucky if you get a big one..did catch a couple 2kg but it's infested with small bass...water is crystal clear can actually see them but dis past weekend didn't see one.
No probs Ismael, no harm done boet.
Any dam can only support so many kg's of biomass and which can change as the dam matures and the species mix changes. Clear water is normally less fertile and can support less aquatic life.
If that dam could support say 250 kg's of bass sustainably, whether it's 250 1kg fish or 1000 250g fish, it's the same thing.
thanks...but the farmer says must take out the small bass and i myself just like to catch and release..his son did catch a 5kg so there are big ones..theres plenty of barbel in there aswell...just strange how a dam can change over time..and he doesnt let everyone fish there ..is it a good idea to start taking out some fish becuase they dont seem to be growing.
Surely there must be a soup kitchen, homeless shelter or those in need in your area. Do not sell fish that are culled as greed will overtake you! There is nothing wrong with taking out those smaller fish in the 250 - 350mm size class provided you can see they are starving, thin and malnourished and obviously they must be thick when you fish.
Barbel are also predators so no harm there either. It's not like either of these fish are endangered........... As with everything in life, moderation is key.
Thanks will do that..off topic I did send nutt a pm with my cell number concerning the Fishfinder but Im not sure if he recieved it bcos it's showing in my outbox and not sent messages,
Once Nutt opens the pm it will move out your outbox, patience.
Ok kwl didn't know it worked like that.. Thought maybe something is wrong
I am seeing Nutt tonight so I will ask him to check his PMs
Regards Robert Jacobs
Thanks so much navrik
Ismael Wrote:hi guys
just would like to know if its a good idea to transfer bass from one dam to another because there is this dam that's been taken over by land claims, really awesome dam and big bass in it but the guys are just cleaning it up, taking everything they catch, i spoke to a farmer that i fish at and he said its not a problem i can bring bass and put it in his dam. i don't have a live well but i do have a battery operated pump and i just saw that ol big mouth has "please release me"..distance between dams is about 30mins will the bass survive as i dont want to kill a big bass for nothing or is it a bad idea..i can get a 50l round drum not sure if it will work.anyone has ideas or is it just a bad idea?
thanks guys

Just dont get caught as you need a permit to transport fish. If you have the consent of both parties feel free. We create giant bass all over our farm ponds by introducing different blood strains. The only time a bass becomes really over populated is when you have a inferior bloodline and you end up with a gazzilian bass that never seem to become bigger than 900g.

I have never heard of a population explotion because of overstocking. Thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Who has ever been able to overstock a bass dam hahahaha....we create giant bass all over from malelane, komatipoort, hazyview and baberton because we transfer big bass between farmdams on farms to create a genetic potential in a bloodstrain. Big bass eat small bass. Its not a given that a bass will get big with time or food, 75% of fingerling never even make it e to predation and cold fronts etc, they have to contend with drought and major other factors, then they neethe genetic potential to reach a trophy size, why is it important to release a 10lbs bass? Besause it survived a 1: 10 000 000 trophy survival rate. Only giant bass can spawn giant bass. The balance should be kept but luckily depending on our climate kurper spawn upto 3 times a year and can start reproducing before they are the size of your palm.

We have lifted the average size in as short as a years time with some exceptional fish coming out. Bass will stay alive long. Add atleast a bag of ice to a 50lt container and run the pump off a car battery. I am not encouraging illegal fish stocking because if bass ends up in the wrong eco systems it may have a negative impact but farm dams with no sort of river access I see no harm. The future looks bleek for our fish especially with a few dams encouraging us to remove fish and to fine you if you release them. I never fish public venues anymore and stick to farm dams producing giant bass. Thats where I am safe from the politics and things like fishing pressure and excess culling...I believe this to be my bassing future so I invest in it.

In most public dams a 3+kg bass is like a blue moon, at our private venues its a given. There will be a lot of politics regarding legalities but if we dont do something that generates billions in revenue for the country, and to support the only passion I have other than my family and my work then no one will. And if someone doesnt like me being pro looking after our passion so that not only me but my kids and friends can enjoy with me then up yours. Find a different proudly SA species to go persue, sell your bass gear to us and get the hell off this forum!