Current time: 09-18-2021, 09:13 AM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Mossback

Shimano Spirex

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have searched far and wide for a lekker Spinning reel for freshwater use .

and finally decided to buy 2 x Shimano Spirex FD's from the States.

1x2500 and 1x4000 size . Dunno why these are not available in SA.
The dual handles add about 30g of weight to it when comparing it to it's closest match.
Wencor Wrote:The dual handles add about 30g of weight to it when comparing it to it's closest match.

30g is 30g but it is super well balanced and only $53 so not in same league as the super dooper R2000 reels . Quickfire cast is awesome and you can keep your eyes on surface action and cast one handed.
Heads up....30 grams is a massive deal....add postage and you might as well get a 2500 Symetre? Sahara's and Sedona's are also readily available in S.A for that price....
Rory Wrote:Heads up....30 grams is a massive deal....add postage and you might as well get a 2500 Symetre? Sahara's and Sedona's are also readily available in S.A for that price....

Still have some old Hamilton's , Jackson's a Grant and few Franklins when it was R7 and shool mate inbound from FL - so more of a impulsive opportunity.

Sahara's/Symetre are nice for other species but find them boring or just more of the same for bass. I have 5000fj Stradics I use as well but just find the functionality on the Spirex unique unlike any other reel for bass.

almost like a baitcaster spinning reel with double paddle and quickfire - not everybody's cup of tea , but I like it a lot.

I baught a 2000 size spirex in 97 and has since been hijacked by my dad,

so figured the 2500 size for Bass , and the 4000 for Tigers/Yellows.
That reel looks like a baitrunner used for bait/carp angling? They always have two handles and that casting bar thingy. I would rather buy a Pinnacle Spinning Reel. Good value for money in your price range. My 2 c
Ian is 100% correct, they are carp reels or the likes...They were readily available in the last couple of years in SA, my mate uses the 4000's for tiger fishing, wouldn't waist my time importing them :blue-cry:
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
Guys ,

Here is a pic of a baitrunner , apart from the " baitrunner " wording engraved in the side , it also has a clutch on the spine of the reel to disengage the spool from the drag so it can run freely and very nice for livebait.- see attached pic

The Spirex has double handle and quickfire mechanism for repeated casting
not to be confused with a clutch similar than the baitrunner.

Spirex has 2 models FD and RD the RD has a fighting drag function as well
Rear drag models old and new with the fighting drag function .
They have arrived and smiling ear to ear . :eusa_dance: