Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Mossback

Time for a new baitcaster -Maybe a new brand too

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howzit guys,

I know this topic has been discussed before about the Lew's reels. I will soon need a couple more baitcasters and although I am a fan of the Chronarch, I am open to the other brands too(Sorry, no Abu, Daiwa or Quantums please). So basically only Lew's.

For some reason, I have an obsession with reel weight and would like my next one to be under 7oz. I'm quite impressed at how light the Lew's series are in comparison to their price, but...are they reliable...
The brand seems to have received many positive reviews.

I'm trying to decide between these 4 models:

Lew's Tournament Lite Speed Spool Casting Reel - 5.8oz
Lew's Team Lite Speed Spool Casting Reel - 5.6oz
Lew's BB-2Z Speed Spool Casting Reel - 7.4oz yeah, I know it's over 7...
Lew's BB-1 Pro Series Speed Spool Casting Reel - 6.5oz

Have any of you guys got any feedback on any of these models?
Whereabouts could I find the brand?

The weight of the first 2 reels are not more than 0.3oz off of the Shimano Core 50mg. The price, however, between the most expensive of the Lew's mentioned above, and the Core is a $130 difference! Yeah...130 Dollars...
I have fished with a Core and it's really an awesome piece of "machinery", but geez.

I tried contacting Emjay Smit who seems like he can really give me some good points on these reels as he has switched from Shimano recently. Not able to get hold of him though.

Thoughts on this topic?

Looking forward to some replies!
[Image: outdoors_zps5be0abce.gif]
I'm going to watch with interest.
If we didn't chase Jim_From_Zim away he would have been able to contribute here.......
Pay back the money........Bring Jim back!
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Riprap Wrote:I'm going to watch with interest.
If we didn't chase Jim_From_Zim away he would have been able to contribute here.......

No one chased JFZ away... he decided to leave on his own accord... his account is still active.
Sometimes the fishing is so bad not even the liars catch anything!!!!
JM,

I'm using a BB1 Speed Spool and a Speed Spin for dropshot. Very light and super smooth. Quality, no issues so far and there is local backup.
I'm certainly at this point looking at getting another BB1 as well as a Team Lite Speed Spool or Tournament Lite as I'm impressed with the performance and find they're nice and compact in the hand too.
As far as the Speed Spin goes I just recently got my hands on it and have only used it once dropshotting and it was light and comfortable.

Speak to Plasticman :blue-cool:
[Image: Dreamfish.jpg]
Thanks dude.

Apparently Plasticman used to stock but there was a huge stuff-up with suppliers. So they don't stock it anymore.

Any idea on the price of those 4 reels?
bassmaster Wrote:
Riprap Wrote:I'm going to watch with interest.

No one chased JFZ away... he decided to leave on his own accord... his account is still active.
Thanks BM. I was hoping to draw a response from "grumpy" himself. :roll: :lol:

JM, are you moving away from the top end Shimano's due to cost?
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Riprap Wrote:JM, are you moving away from the top end Shimano's due to cost?

Pretty much. And I think that their reels need some competition.
JM, I have only lews on all my rods, You can speak to JC at eddlesgas and tackle as i get all of mine from him.

I have the tournament one, and 2 of the normal speedspools, Trying to sell my Revo S to buy another one for my cranking rod.
What did the tournament go for bru?
Jm
Come see me
Cheers
JM thought you're on a Island?
I'm not stranded. I still have internet Jub-Jub
My next buy ...yes I know you mentioned not that brand...will be the Tour Mg at 5.4 ounces. Saw it for around R2K locallly.

Can't wait to pair the with my superlight ALX rods!
Regards Robert Jacobs
Hey Nav, look! Your posts are catching up to RipRap's! hehe
We had a dice until 5000 posts...and now I am tapping off a bit and sitting in his slipstream...saving lots of fuel and energy this way :blue-biggrin:
Regards Robert Jacobs